Alright, here are some self portraits of the new haircut. You can't really see the style very well, because I was wearing a turtleneck and vest. I've gotten more used to it over the past week, but I'm still thinking I'll grow it back out.
Since I'm on the topic of hair crisis, I thought I'd take this chance to show some of the times when I've been the most "haircut challenged." Oh, there's some doozies in here, so get ready for this. I'll start off with this picture of me in my first year of life. It took a couple years before my hair would actually lay down AT ALL. I had a calic on my entire head. I like to think that I was just such a RAY OF SUNSHINE.

Wow, here we go (big sigh). I'm going to be sharing some of my most embarrassing moments with you. Let's move on to this BEEHIVE hairdo. Marge Simpson comes to mind. Boy do I miss those big collars on the church dresses, too. Good times.

And the one that truly tops them all. The one that lets me know that my parents must not love me at all. To have the following haircut, you either need to:
1) Be a handsome black basketball player
2) Be over the age of 75.
I was 7. 7!! What kind of loving mother does this to her child?! My Mom told me one time that I had wanted to get my hair cut like Orphan Annie. I have a couple issues with this. First of all, she was an ORPHAN. Which means that she did not have a loving mother to tell her she shouldn't cute her hair like that! Next, who lets their 7-year-old completely pick their hairdo? My Mom's response of "you WANTED it cut like that!" just doesn't fly with me. I don't remember getting to stay home from school "because I want to" or eating candy for dinner "because I want to." Why start giving in to my demands on the hairdo? By the way Mom, I still love you, but it has taken a lot of therapy for me to get over this one :).
Let's move ahead just one year. I'm 8 and now my Mom has decided that she's too lazy to even try to do my hair anymore. Why not just let me cut my own bangs and then comb it all the way from the back to the front? Oh, and you can't leave out the awesome mullet. In Paris Hilton's words, "that's hot."
As if I wasn't hideous enough from one side, this photographer thought he'd torture me by showing my profile from both sides. The sweater with multi-colored shapes just adds to the awesomeness of the bad perm, ratted bangs and scrunchy. I think I was in 5th grade.
Let's move ahead to middle school. Yes, I said middle school. I understand that others girls this age are worrying about boyfriends and growing chests. Since I obviously didn't have either of those things, I spent my time trying to decide if I wanted bangs. Not being able to decide, I just cut a few strands and called it good. I think the enormous bow was my way of distracting the attention away from my acne. And oh, those teeth. Somehow I was still losing baby teeth in 8th grade.
All the above hairstyles can be blamed on my parents, since I was still living under their roof. But this one was all me. I was still a newlywed and had just gotten pregnant with Brevan. I guess I figured that since I'd found a good man, I didn't need to get ready anymore. I chopped off all my hair and wore Ryan's t-shirts everyday. Apparently I felt guilty having hair while Ryan was quickly losing his.
So there you have it. My current spontaneous haircut doesn't seem all that bad after reminiscing about these past styles.
14 comments:
I think your new hair cut looks fabulous!--very trendy. The best thing about hair is that it will always grow back. Why stress over it? {Unless it's your best feature... which I highly doubt is your case.}
Like I said at church, the word for your new 'do is "sophisticated". I like it! As for those other 'dos...wow! Your parents really are cruel. ;)
I like it! I told you Friday night I thought it was cute!!! And it IS!
As far as the other "do's" in your life....oh.my.gosh. I just can't even begin...HAHA!
I love the new haircut, my favorite bad haircut is the mullet!!!
I am seriously laughing out loud at your awesome 7 and 8 yr old hairdos. You are awesome for posting those- I am for real still giggling!
When I get more brave I will have to post some of my past styles, including my bi-level permed mullet, and the haircut that Ryan Blair (remember him?) referred to as "microphone head". Good times.
I love it!!! I think it is really cute. I don't think this qualifies as a hair crisis. I had green hair about a year ago. That was a crisis. This is cute! Those pictures sure brought back memories!
This is a rad post!!! Your new hair cut is cool and hip! So was the one when you were 7! I'm pretty sure my old pictures look very similar!
Ha ha.....Gotta love memory road! But you have nothing to worry about! Very cute!
Ali, your new hair cut really is so cute on you. You look great with short hair. My face is so round that I look horrible with anything higher than my shoulders. Those past hair dos are quite funny. What were we or our parents thinking with some of the hair cuts we had growing up. It will be fun to look back on our kids and see if we laugh at what we did.
I think your new cut looks so cute! short hair is fun because you feel more like you have a hairstyle! the pic of you in jr, high with the bow cracks me up, i totally remember wearing those bows!
I couldn't stop laughing after reading this post. Maybe because I had similar and maybe even worse bad hair years growing up!
Oh those gave me a good laugh!! I love your new haircut! In the second pic you look like you belong with polygamists!! Hilarious. I am sure if I went through my old pictures I would have some doozies! You are awesome!!
I love you new do, the color and the cut!
It was fun to see ya for a min today:)
My favorite pick is the bee hive do! "Thats hot!"
Love this post! I've got some fabulous pictures from the past as well. I think our mom's really loved curlers! Sweeeeet! :)
Post a Comment