Brynlie has been waiting for this birthday for YEARS. 12 is a magical year for the girls at our house. They can:
- Leave Primary and start attending Young Womens
- Wear "dangly" earrings
- Get a cell phone
- Wear make-up
Attending Young Womens has been a HUGE deal for her this past year, because she had to stay behind as the ONLY GIRL in her Primary class (and for a while, the ONLY KID), while her friends enjoyed bonding at their YW activities. The Primary President told me, "I cry every time one of the kids leaves Primary to move into the Youth program, but I could only smile when Brynlie left because I know how long she has been waiting for this!" Bryn and Ryan attended a YW temple trip this past weekend, so Ryan was able to be with her the first time she performed baptisms for the dead.
Most of Bryn's money lately has been spent on longer earrings, and she feels so grown up! I took some cute pictures of her sporting the new earrings, but they were lost along with the pictures from her party. She got her cell phone about a month before her birthday, because she wanted the iPhone 5, which was on it's way to being obsolete now that there's a new version. I bought the last 2 that were available in the Kansas City area - one for her and one for me. She has loved the new freedom of having a phone, and we carefully monitor her use.
I had planned to take Bryn to a make-up counter for her birthday, so she could learn how to properly wear a LITTLE bit of make-up, but so far she hasn't shown much interest. We tell her she's a lucky girl to be so naturally pretty, because she doesn't need make-up, but I'm sure she will begin to wear it soon. She wore make-up to the last big school event, and when she got home Ryan told her to take it off so he could see his little girl again.
We held Bryn's party the day before her birthday. I took six giggly girls - Bryn, Sophie, Megan, Madelyn, Jillian and Erin - to the Maze Craze, which was a hit. Megan and Sophie even got a high score on the laser maze and were put on the scoreboard! After shooting each other in laser tag, I drove the girls back to our house for dinner. Bryn had requested Bacon-wrapped Smokies and fruit kabobs before we devoured cake and ice cream. Then I drove all the girls (plus Lindsey, who was dying to tag along) to the Haunted Hayride in Kearney. By the time I dropped off the girls and climbed into bed at midnight, I was pretty worn out! All the pre-teen girls seemed to have a blast, and everyone got along well (which is always a concern of mine when you get a bunch of emotional girls together).
These are the only pictures I have from the party night.
My baby girl is growing up! I'm glad she is having such a great year, full of friendships and fun activities.
1 comment:
What a beautiful and grown up girl! I agree - she doesn't need makeup to look gorgeous.
Post a Comment